Kalvisudar C Kandasamy
Our munificent donor Thiru C.Kandaswami Naidu had every reason to be proud to be an achiever resulting from his untiring efforts, hardwork and sincerity. He was born in 1885 in Kalvoi Village in the erstwhile Chengalpet District to Shri Lakshmiah Naidu and Smt.Kanniamma. He was named after the presiding diety of his place Lord Kandaswami inspite of being a Vaishnavite. To meet the challenges of life the family had to migrate to Chetpet in Chennai where the father with his son worked in a brick kiln. Kandaswami’s zest for rise and growth enabled him to learn ornamental and relief work in masonry. But the sudden demise of his father shattered Kandaswami. It was very difficult to fight against the difficulties and adverse circumstances but his employment under Thiru Calavala Cunnan Chetty and Ramanuja Iyer helped him to reach a reasonable competency and retain a decent reputation for good workmanship.

Kandaswami’s experience earned under Namperumal Chetty, financial support rendered by his father-in-law, his honest work and self reliance motivated him to found a brick-kiln at Koyambedu and accept small contracts. One such was the excavation of earth for putting up the Pachaiyappa’s Hostel Building at Chetpet. His efficiency in getting organized labour earned him many assignments and his manufacture of bricks made good profits. Out of his sustained efforts he acquired a large number of properties. In 1948, due to serious illness, he was compelled to make his last will.
It was drafted by his advocates Pais Lobo and Alvares under the suggestion of Thiru K.Venkateswami Naidu, the then Trustee of Pachaiyappa’s Trust . The will was signed on 21st May 1948 just two days before his death, in the presence of Thiru A.K.Muthuswami, Advocate.His efficiency in getting organized labour earned him many assignments and his manufacture of bricks made good profits. Out of his sustained efforts he acquired a large number of properties. In 1948, due to serious illness, he was compelled to make his last will. It was drafted by his advocates Pais Lobo and Alvares under the suggestion of Thiru K.Venkateswami Naidu, the then Trustee of Pachaiyappa’s Trust . The will was signed on 21st May 1948 just two days before his death, in the presence of Thiru A.K.Muthuswami, Advocate.

The idea of starting a College at Kanchipuram, the birth-place of Pachaiyappa Mudaliar, suggested itself to the Trustees of Pachaiyappa’s Charities, Madras and the citizens of Kanchipuram when the centenary of Pachaiyappa’s High School at Kanchipuram was celebrated in the year 1946. Though there was a move in the very next year towards this end, it could not take any concrete shape, as sufficient funds and the necessary accommodation could not be made available immediately. But the need for a College in this district and in a central town like Kanchipuram, came to be felt more and more acutely as the year passed, and none felt it more poignantly than the late Thiru C. Kandaswami Mudaliar. He determined to Will away all his hard earned savings for the cause of higher education in his native town. He left a substantial portion of his property amounting in all to about Rs.60,000 for an Arts and Science College to be started at Kanchipuram, in the time-honoured name of Pachaiyappa Mudaliar and entreated the Pachaiyappa’s Trust Board to sponsor the scheme and shoulder the responsibility for running the College.

This gave the necessary inspiration and impetus to Pachaiyappa’s Trust Board and the citizens of Kanchipuram. The former readily came forward to sponsor the scheme once again and the latter constituted a Formation Committee under the Chairmanship of Thiru M. Vedachala Mudaliar of Chingleput to find the additional funds necessary for the immediate starting of the college.

The new College was opened with the name Pachaiyappa’s College, Kanchipuram” in June 1950, in a rented building in Tirukatchinambi Street, Little Kanchipuram, In the meantime, strenuous efforts were made by the late Dr. T.Satakopa Mudaliar, M.D., the then President of the Pachaiyappa’s Trust Board and his colleagues, to secure a suitable site for the College on which the permanent building of the College, the hostels, and the staff quarters could be erected with ample open spaces for the play-fields and game courts. Dr. Kanakasabapathy Mudaliar, M.A., Ph.D., (London) and other members of his family were persuaded to make, in 1950, a free gift of about 71/2 acres of land belonging to them, along the northern bank of the river Vegavathi to the east of Little Kanchipuram. An assignment of the adjoining 53 acres along the same river bank was secured from the Government immediately after, in May 1951 and the plans for the new building of the College on this ideal site were got ready. The foundation stone was laid by Dr. Sir A. Ramaswami Mudaliar, B.A., B.L., D.C.L., in September 1950 and the construction work commenced early in 1952.